Be advised of the following:
- Confirm that you have requested the correct section number. Permission codes only work for the section to which they are assigned and can only be used once.
- It may take up to ONE WEEK (5 business days) for your request to be processed.
- All responses will be sent to the requestor's university email account. Please check your junk email if you have not received your code.
- Do not send multiple requests and please do not call asking us to expedite your request; it will prolong the process.
- All permission code requests are processed in the order that they were received. Permission codes will not be issued via appointment.
- If you took prerequisites at a different university (outside of Utah), you will need to have those evaluated before we can issue a permission code. See the Q&A below for links.
Once you have read and understand that information above, please select the link below to request a permission code.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Common issues include not meeting prerequisites, the course is full, or a time conflict. Please check these three things before requesting a permission code.
A: Unfortunately, once a course is filled, it is filled. This is especially the case with lab sections as we have to be in compliance with safety regulations. Try using schedule builder to see if there is any other way to plan your semester. Otherwise, we encourage you to watch the enrollment as enrollment numbers frequently change during the first week of classes.
A: We manage our waitlist through permission codes. You must submit a permission code and meet prerequisites in order to be placed on the waitlist. Please be patient- we will contact you with a permission code and instructions. A seat is not guaranteed to those on the waitlist.
A: If you took the prerequisite at a college or university in Utah, please make sure that your official transcript has been sent to the University of Utah. Once your transcript has been processed, you will be able to register normally. If you have issues registering, please request a permission code.
If you took the prerequisite at a college or university outside of Utah, please complete a Transfer Course Evaluation Form for each physics course that you want to use as a prerequisite. You will also need to have your math courses evaulated by the math department.
Your courses will need to be evaluated before you are issued a permission code. You are also responsible for making sure an official transcript is sent to the University of Utah.
You should receive your permission code within a week (or 5 business days). Please check your university email account, as all permission codes will be sent there.
Please be patient as we receive a large number of requests and process the requests as fast as we can. All permission code requests are processed in the order they are received.
A: Permission codes will only work for the section it was assigned and can only be used once. If you are still having trouble, email email@example.com.
When you enroll in a discussion section, it automatically enrolls you in the lecture associated with the discussion section.
When requesting a permission code, please request the correct discussion section you need. We will not be able to issue a permission code based on the lecture.
A: You can email the Physics Permission Code Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to make changes to the section you have requested.
If you are checking on the status of your permission code request, you must wait 5 business days after your request.
A: The last day to add classes without a permission code is the first Friday of the semester. For exact dates, check the Academic Calendar published by the Registrar's Office.
After this date, you must receive instructor's consent to receive a permission code and/or enroll in the course.