Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
Physics & Astronomy
University of Utah
Special opportunity for local students!
Download a PDF version of the application form here
The Department of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Utah offers a research experience program in Physics and Astronomy where undergraduate students work closely with a faculty mentor and their research group on an individual project. All interested students are invited to apply here for this 10 weeks summer program.
Program participants gain direct experience by working in ongoing experimental or theoretical research programs in following fields:
• Astrophysics & Observational Astronomy
• Astrophysics: Relativity & Cosmology
• Cosmic Rays
• Experimental Condensed Matter Physics
• Particle Physics
• Theoretical Condensed Matter Physics
All students attend weekly seminars on current research in physics in addition to machine shop training and Physics GRE workshops. The experience culminates with the writing of a report and presentation of findings at a closing Symposium.
Participants will receive a $4,000 stipend and university housing is provided.
The REU Physics & Astronomy Program is open to all U of U current sophomore, junior and senior undergraduate majors in physics or astronomy. To be eligible:
• Applicants must be matriculated U of U physics undergraduate students,
• Applicants must be eligible for University employment and must report their earnings when applying for other sources of financial aid.
The 2015 summer program will run from May 25 – August 1. The application deadline is May 1, 2015. On-line applications can be found here.
• National Science Foundation (NSF)
• Department of Physics & Astronomy
• Center for Science and Mathematics Education (CSME)
• The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP)
• College of Science