Introduction to Computers in Physics
Please monitor this page for course-related announcements.
- 08-Dec-2006. Solutions to a11 are now posted.
Location is ~p6720/jb.
- 28-Nov-2006. Final Exam is 1:00-3:00 PM, Friday December 15th.
Location is the South Physics computer lab.
- 20-Nov-2006. A10, PROBLEM #1 HAS CHANGED!
A negative number (e.g. v) to a fractional power (e.g. 1.1) is imaginary. D'oh!
- 14-Nov-2006. See the hints I have typed up for Assignment 9, Exercise 2.
You can either get them from the assignment page or from here.
- 10-Nov-2006. See tweaks to Assignment 9. Please turn in both .mws and .txt files.
- 10-Nov-2006. Homework solutions posted to ~p6720/solved/a07, a08
- 04-Nov-2006. Small changes to Assignment 8. Should be easier!
- 01-Nov-2006. Hints on evaluating goodness-of-fit have been added to Assignment 7, Exercise 2.
- 31-Oct-2006. If you're having trouble compiling xlfit.cpp, have a look at the working version in ~p6720/jb .
- 24-Oct-2006. The final project for P6720 students (optional extra credit for P3730 students) has been posted on the assignments page. An in-class handout was also given out on 23-October.
- 21-Sep-2006. Assignment 04, Problem 2, has been updated AGAIN,
with all recent changes since the last class marked in red.
(Apologies, I seemed to be unable to transcribe the 2s wavefunction
correctly...I believe it's right, now.) There was a missing
factor of (1/a)^1.5; if you are working in length units of Bohr radii,
you won't notice any change in your results by inserting the missing
- 20-Sep-2006. Assignment 04, Problem 2, has been updated.
Please see the latest version, wherein corrections are noted in
a red font.
- 06-Sep-2006. Assignment 02 is due Wednesday, 13-Sep.
The date in the submit utility has now been corrected. All
assignments will be due on Wednesdays from now on, unless otherwise
- 06-Sep-2006. The submit command now works.
Thanks to system administrator Brad Hawks.
- 30-Aug-2006. Problems with the submit command. If you have
trouble using the submit command, please try logging into the physics
server orion. You may do this by typing ssh orion and then your
usual password. Submit should work from there. Also please note that
due to system problems, the du command (relevant to assignment
01) may not behave well, depending on which server you are logged
into. In this case, du works from the server draco, but not
orion. These are transient problems, owing to a software upgrade, and
will be fixed shortly.
- 30-Aug-2006. New website for 3730/6720!
The class website is now
If you point your browser at the old website, it will
automatically redirect you to the new one.
- 08-Aug-2006. Welcome to PHYS 3730/6720!
The course web pages are currently
UNDER CONSTRUCTION, so please visit again as we get closer to the
start of the semester.
University of Utah Content Disclaimer
Last updated: Fri Dec 8 13:04:47 MST 2006