The Workshop on Stellar Intensity Interferometry
was held on January 29 and 30 2009
on the campus of the University of Utah in the auditorium of the Physics Department INSCC building
Pictures: Sagar Godambe
Other Activities           |
Thursday January 29th:
Friday January 30st:
- 09:45 - 10:00 Coffee
- 10:00 - 10:30 Cherenkov Telescope Arrays [30'] (Michael Daniel Slides)
- 10:30 - 11:00 Air Cherenkov Telescopes Arrays as SII receivers [30'], (Stephan LeBohec Slides, Picture 1, Picture 2)
- 11:00 - 11:20 New tools for intensity interferometry [20'], (Erez Ribak Slides, Picture)
- 11:20 - 11:40 Photo-detectors for intensity interferometry [20'], (David Kieda, Picture)
- 11:40 - 12:10 Transmission of fast signals via optical fibres [30'](Michael Daniel Slides)
- 12:10 - 13:20 Lunch Break
- 13:20 - 13:50 Digital Correlators for Intensity Interferometry and High-Speed Astrophysics [30'] (Dainis Dravins Slides)
- 13:50 - 14:20 The Utah Semi-digital programmable correlator, lab testing and prototype [30'] (Stephan LeBohec Slides)
- 14:20 - 14:50 Image Reconstruction from Intensity Interferometry (Paul Nunez Slides)
- 14:50 - 15:30 Optimization of the Cherenkov Telescope Array for Intensity Interferometry (Dainis Dravins Slides)
- 15:30 - 15:45 Coffee break
- 15:45 - 15:55 Design of CTA camera shutters and II integration (Discussion)
- 15:55 - 16:15 Outline and contributions to the white paper (Discussion, Erez Ribak)
Latest version of the white paper.
- 16:15 - 16:35 Future meetings and future plans, Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey (Discussion, David Kieda)
Note: after the workshop the working group wrote a white paper for the Astro2010 decadal review
- 16:35 Closing remarks - end of workshop
Saturday January 31st:
|Michael Daniel (Durham, England)
||Dainis Dravins (Lund Observatory, Sweden)
||Cedric Foellmi (Universite Joseph Fourier, France)
|Jeter Hall (Fermi Lab., US)
||Richard Holmes (Neutronics, US)
||David Hyland (Texas A&M, US)
|Hannes Jensen (Lund Observatory, Sweden)
||David Kieda (U of U, US)
||Stephan LeBohec (U of U, US)
|Steve Lipson (Technion, Israel)
||Fabien Malbet (CNRS, France)
||Giampiero Naletto (University of Padova, Italia)
|Paul Nunez (U of U, US)
||Andreas Quirrenbach (Heidelberg University, Germany)
||John Ralston (University of Kansas,US)
|Erez Ribak (Technion, Israel)
||Markus Schoeller (ESO)
||Nikolaos H. Solomos (Hellenic Naval Academy)
Salt Lake City airport now has a direct flight from Paris. The cab ride from the ariport to downtown Salt-Lake City or the campus costs from $25 to $30. A bus leaves the airport for the City Center every 30 minutes during the day and every 60 minutes after 7:00 pm. One way fare is $1.60. Bus stops are located in the parking structure between Terminal One and Terminal Two. If you stay at the Embassy Suite Hotel you can use the shuttle service they offer to and from the airport.
Salt-Lake-City is at an altitude of 1300m (4200ft). In January-February the temperature might be as low as -10C and snow in town is common. Check the weather forecast and pack you suitcase accordingly.
The University of Utah Guest House does not have any availabilities left. The Marriott Salt Lake City Marriott University Park Hotel might still be an option but we made a 15 room group reservation at the Embassy Suite Hotel from January 28th until January 31st. You need to book the room before December 28th by indicating you will be attending the Stellar Intensity Interferometry U of U meeting (Group/Convention Code: SII) in order to benefit from the special University rate of $114/night. Conditions are specified here and here. If you plan to stay longer than just for the time of the meeting the same rate would apply for the duration of your stay. The Embassy Suite Hotel is located in downtown Salt-Lake-City and I will organize to pick you up in the morning each day of the workshop for a ride to the University.
Interactive University of Utah Campus map
Google map with INSCC, Guest House and Marriott marked
- Second International Colloquium on Fundamental Aspects and Scientific Applications of Galileo and GNSS, Padua, Italia, October 14-16 2009
- The Interferometric View on Hot Stars, Santiago/Vina del Mar, Chile, March 2-6, 2009
- CTA - Cherenkov Telescope Array, Padua, Italy, November 3-5 2008
- Astro2010: The Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey
- Saturday January 31st, I would be happy to give a tour of StarBase located 40 miles west of Salt-Lake-City on the Bonneville SeaBase diving ressort with tropical fish.
- The SNOWPACK conference will be help in Snowbird from February 1st until February 7th
- You might consider staying a few more days to take advantage of the "greatest snow on Earth"
- Southern Utah, just a few hours away from Salt Lake City also counts some of the most breath taking national parks in the US
- The Sundance Film Festival is held in Park City Utah from January 17 to January 27.