- PHYS/ASTR 7720 -
Schedule: MW 2:00pm - 3:20pm
Location: JFB 210
Instructor: Pearl Sandick
Office: 210 INSCC
Office Hours: M 3:30 - 4:30pm
Grader: Fei Teng
Office: INSCC 205-1A
Office Hours: Tuesdays, 1-2pm
Spacetime and Geometry:
An Introduction to General Relativity
by Sean M. Carroll
Several other textbooks are on
reserve at the Marriott Library.
Online Resources: There are WAY too
many GR resources to list, but a nice
reference for tensor calculus is Lichnerowicz's
Elements of Tensor Calculus.
Hit the reload button to make sure you get the most recent announcements.
- Dec. 8: The solution to the final homework problem is posted. Good work, everyone! I'll be available by appointment next week before the exam if you want to meet for any reason.
- Dec. 6: The final exam will be in JFB 325, December 16th, 1-3pm. Also, the solutions to homework 5 are posted (sorry about the delay).
- Dec. 1: Homework 6 is posted (it's small).
- Nov. 16: Homework 5 is posted.
- Nov. 3: Homework 4 is posted and is due November 16. FYI, there will be two more homeworks in this class, due November 30 and December 7 (the last day of class).
- Oct. 31: I am not going to post notes for Chapter 5. We'll discuss this in class.
- Oct. 24: The rest of the notes for Chapter 4 are posted.
- Oct. 19: The beginnings of notes for chapter 4 are posted. Please print off for class today. The rest will be posted this weekend.
- Sept. 30: Homework 3 is now posted.
- Sept. 28: The solutions for Homework 2 are posted. Also, we chose two times for the midterm exam: Thursday Oct. 27th 11am-12:20pm and Friday October 28th 2:00-3:20pm. If you prefer a different time, please let me know by October 17th.
- Sept. 23: Notes for Chapter 3 are posted!
- Sept. 16: Two minor typos have been corrected in the solutions to Homework 1 (a dt that should have been a dtau in problem 4, and one place in problem 2 where dx and dt were switched).
- Sept. 9: The notes for Chapter 2 are posted (see above). Also, just a reminder: homework is due at the beginning of class on Monday. Have a great weekend!
- Aug. 28: The rest of the notes for Chapter 1 are posted above. You are responsible for printing them for yourself prior to class. Note that we will not cover section 10 in sequence - we'll come back to a little bit of classical field theory later, when we need it.
- Aug. 24: There will be no class on Wednesday, November 23rd (the day before Thanksgiving). Fill-in-the-blank notes received overwhelmingly positive feedback, so they will be continued. I'll post the next set here on Monday before class (you can print them out yourselves). Your first assignment is now posted on the assignments page.
- Our first class will be on Monday, August 22nd. See you then!
Physics Department Home Page
U of U Content
This page is maintained by Pearl Sandick.