- PHYS/ASTR 7720 -
Schedule: MW 2:00pm - 3:20pm
Location: JFB 210
Instructor: Pearl Sandick
Office: 210 INSCC
Office Hours: T 3:00 - 4:00pm
Office Hours: TBD
Spacetime and Geometry:
An Introduction to General Relativity
by Sean M. Carroll
Several other textbooks are on
reserve at the Marriott Library.
Online Resources: There are WAY too
many GR resources to list, but a nice
reference for tensor calculus is Lichnerowicz's
Elements of Tensor Calculus.
Hit the reload button to make sure you get the most recent announcements.
- April 28: All homework solutions are now posted. The final exam (for Utah students) is on May 2nd, from 3:30 to 5:30pm in JFB 210. See you there!
- April 11: A nice story about the 1922 eclipse expedition to test GR is here. There is also a good discussion of more modern tests (through 2005) here. REMINDER: there will be no class on Monday, April 16. Instructions for what to watch and write up will be given on the assignments page.
- February 16: The midterm will be on Monday, February 26th, in class. It will cover basically what we've covered in class and in the homework so far, which goes through section 3.5 in your book. Since it's an in-class midterm, expect short problems that check your understanding of key concepts.
- January 31: Homework 2 and solutions to Homework 1 are posted on the assigments page.
- Lorentz Generators (I should credit the source, but I don't remember where I found it.)
- The first homework assignment is posted on the assigments page and is due on Monday, January 29th.
- Our first class will be on Monday, January 8th. See you then!
Physics Department Home Page
U of U Content
This page is maintained by Pearl Sandick.