Welcome to the Department of Physics & Astronomy General Scholarship application. There are several scholarship opportunities available to current students in the Department of Physics & Astronomy. Applications to all opportunities will be evaluated based on a combination of i) academic success, ii) participation in departmental research, teaching, mentoring, and other activities, iii) leadership and engagement in on- or off-campus communities, and iv) need. Thus, students should be sure to address those points in their application materials. Some scholarships have additional criteria or priorities that will require short additional statements as part of the application.
The Department of Physics & Astronomy welcomes applications from all declared undergraduate student majors in physics for our scholarships!
How to Apply
All applications will be submitted through the Academic Works scholarship system.
Complete both the University General Application and the Department of Physics & Astronomy General Application. You will automatically be reviewed for all scholarships for which you qualify.
All department applications must have the following items, unless otherwise specified:
- A one-two page personal statement from the applicant describing their accomplishments, need for the scholarship, and future goals.
- Current transcripts.
- Two letters of support from a faculty instructor or research advisor. (Students will need to present each recommender with a Consent to Release (PDF) form.)
- Although not required, it is highly encouraged you complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so you don't miss out on other aid opportunities.
Students who have applied for scholarships will be reviewed by the scholarship committee. Students will be notified via U-mail if they are to be awarded a scholarship after the committee has made their final decision.
Department Scholarship Opportunities
Please submit all application materials through the online application system by February 16th.
Undergraduate Student Awards:
P&A Recognition of Academic Excellence (departmental $5000 tuition waivers)
- This opportunity is no longer available (updated: 2 January 2024).
- Thomas J. Parmley Scholarship for Outstanding Undergraduate Student
- Walter W. Wada Endowed Scholarship
- Students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be considered for this scholarship.
- Preston J. and Phyllis R. Taylor Scholarship
- Priority will be given to students who have overcome obstacles on the way to strong academic achievements.
- RJ Hoffman Scientific Passion Scholarship
- Priority will be given to students with a biomedical physics emphasis or an applied physics emphasis.
- Hanson Continuing Education Scholarship in Physics and Astronomy
- Priority will be given to students who are among the first generation in their family to attend college.
- Outstanding P&A Veteran Student Award
- For students who have served in the US Armed Forces.
Students interested in applying for these scholarships must apply here using the General Application.
Applications must be submitted by February 16th, 2024.